Julie Murphy | Counsellor & Psychotherapist
✓ I also offer online therapy
Leave a message and I will contact you as soon as possible.
Welcome, my name is Julie. I am a counsellor who works in a person-centred way and I aim to understand your world from your viewpoint rather than my interpretation of it which allows me to work with you in the best possible way. I work with individuals; adults and young people, and couples and families.
I provide you with a safe, confidential, non-judgemental space to work on what you want when you feel ready. You are in control of what you work on and I will never make you work on anything you are not ready to. I believe this is the best way to meet your needs.
I have extensive experience working with a vast range of issues including abuse, anxiety, bereavement and loss, career support, domestic violence, family issues, feeling stuck, passive aggresive behaviour, pregnancy and birth, relationship issues, stress, trauma and many more.
Counselling can help you get a better understanding of your situation enabling you to move forward. Whatever your needs, we can work together for as long as you feel necessary. I do not set a time limit or a maximum number of sessions.
For more information on how I work or to book an appoinment please get in touch.
I can offer sessions online or by telephone.
I use the Doxy.me platform for the online sessions. This is similar to Skype and Zoom but Doxy.me has been designed specifically for online sessions and appointments.
There are a few differences between face to face sessions and online/telephone sessions that we would discuss prior to booking. These are more practical things on your end to consider such as having a good internet connection, can you get total privacy for the duration of the session, have water and tissues to hand.
If you couldn't be sure of total privacy for the duration of your session do you have a car you could sit? Just ensure you are stationary before the session begins and do not connect to your Bluetooth.
You could wear headphones, this would at least stop my end of the conversation being heard accidentally.
If you would prefer telephone sessions we would agree on who calls who before the session begins.
For more information on how I work online or by telephone please get in touch.
Qualifications and registrations
- Jan 2019 - Dec 2020 - CrossReach. Post Qualifying Certificate in Counselling Children & Young People.
- Aug 2010 – May 2011 - Motherwell College. HNC in Counselling.
- Oct 2012 – May 2014 - Strathclyde University. Post Graduate Diploma in Person-Centered Counselling.
Professional & Personal Development Programmes
June 2020 Counselling Tutor – Online and Telephone Counselling, 80 hours.
- June 2020 Online Events – A 2 Day Introduction to Working Online with Couples, 2 days/12 hours online course.
- April 2020 The Foundation for Infant Loss – The Foundation for Infant Loss Training Course, 2 days, online workshop.
April 2020 PESI - Telehealth for Mental Health Professionals: 2-Day Distance Therapy Training (Digital Seminar).
April 2020 Online Therapy Institute – Moving Your Practice Online.
April 2020 The OU & The BACP – How to do counselling online: a coronavirus primer, 6 hours online training.
March 2020 ACT Counselling Services – Group Therapy.
January 2020 Carolyn Spring - Dealing with Distress: Working with Suicide and Self-Harm.
October 2019 North Lanarkshire Council – Impact of Substance use on Children & Young People.
October 2019 North Lanarkshire Council – Impact of Paternal Substance Misuse During Pregnancy.
October 2019 North Lanarkshire Council – Child Sexual Exploitation.
October 2019 NL CPC - Getting It Right In Child Protection.
September 2019 North Lanarkshire Child Protection Committee (CPC) - The Impact of Paternal Illness on CYP.
August 2019 North Lanarkshire Council (NLC) - FGM, Forced Marriage & Honour Based Violence.
- April 2018 BACP, Julia Samuel – Grief works: Stories of life, death and surviving.
- April 2018 Greenwood Events, Counselling Couples and Families: A Person-Centred Approach with Charles O’Leary.
- April 2018 BACP, Working with critical incidents. Prepared not scared; are you ready to respond?
- November 2017 - Open Secret, Wellbeing Matters. A Conference Exploring Adverse Life Experiences and the Impact on Wellbeing.
- June 2017 - Scottish Trans Alliance. Clinical Forum, Sex Offender Practitioner.
- August 2016 - Compassion Focused Therapy.
- January 2016 - Child Protection Training.
- November 2015 - Crisis and Aggression Limitation and Management.
- June 2015 - Bluebell PND Service. Understanding Ante/Postnatal Depression/Anxiety.
- March 2015 - Strathclyde University. Non-Directive Play Therapy in Action.
- February 2015 - Ron Coleman, & David Campbell. Reclaiming our lives: Working with Males who have experienced sexual abuse.
- September 2014 - David Murphy. Trauma and the Therapeutic Relationship.
- Jan 2012 - Motherwell College. National Unit in Clinical Psychology.
- Sept 2010 - Motherwell College. Scottish Mental Health First Aid.
- Jan 2010 - Motherwell College Introduction to Counselling.
Survivors of abuse
Ranging from physical, sexual, domestic, mental and neglect. I also work with family members of survivors of abuse.
Trauma and losses
Clients who come to get help to work through various and multiple traumas and losses. Counselling can be their first step to dealing with their problems and traumas in a safe environment at their own pace.
Reintegration to the outside world
I worked in a prison setting for 4 years so I understand how difficult it can be for people prior to release.
I supported my clients through their fears and concerns regarding fitting back into society, fears of relapsing or reoffending, readjusting to their world and relationships that may have changed dramatically and having to make choices and being held accountable again.
Mild to moderate mental health issues
Such as anxiety, stress, loss and bereavement, relationship breakdowns including separation, betrayal, affairs & divorce, anger management, PTSD, gender dysphoria and sexuality.
Moderate to severe mental health issues
Including psychosis, dissociation, self-harm, and hearing voices.
Common issues I support people with:
I specialise in working with people who have experienced trauma in their life.
We work together to understand the impact and control the trauma has had on them and their thoughts, feelings and actions.
Trauma regardless of when it occurred can be overcome.
Trauma is a natural reaction (psychological, physical or emotional) to abnormal, upsetting, or extremely stressful events. This can leave us feeling overwhelmed, scared, confused, helpless or betrayed to name a few reactions.
The impact of trauma will be different for each person as it is not a 1 size fits all.
Loss and bereavement
I also specialise in working with loss and bereavement. I help my clients to comprehend who or what they have lost and move through the grieving process if they are stuck or it is too overwhelming.
Therapy can be helpful for people to understand their loss, accept their new reality and come to terms with what has happened to them.
Unfortunatley, loss is inevitable in life and can be very life changing for us.
Areas of counselling I can help with
- ✓ Abortion
- ✓ Abuse
- ✓ Addiction
- ✓ Anger management
- ✓ Anorexia nervosa
- ✓ Attachment disorder
- ✓ Being a perfectionist
- ✓ Being assertive
- ✓ Bereavement, grief, loss
- ✓ Bullying
- ✓ Burnout
- ✓ Communication
- ✓ Self confidence
- ✓ Depression
- ✓ Family problems
- ✓ Fear
- ✓ Feeling lonely
- ✓ Feeling sad
- ✓ Hoarding
- ✓ Hyperventilation
- ✓ Infertility
- ✓ Insecurity
- ✓ Jealousy
- ✓ Low self esteem
- ✓ Miscarriage
- ✓ Obsessive compulsive disorder
- ✓ Panic attack
- ✓ Panic disorder
- ✓ Performance anxiety
- ✓ Phobia
- ✓ Post-traumatic stress disorder
- ✓ Postnatal depression
- ✓ Redundancy
- ✓ Relationship issues
- ✓ Retirement
- ✓ Self-harm
- ✓ Sleep problems
- ✓ Social phobia
- ✓ Stress
- ✓ Trauma
- ✓ Workplace stress
- ✓ Worrying too much
For individuals I charge £45 and couples and families are charged at £65 per session.
I am a 5-minute walk from the town centre, a 10-minute walk from the train station and if coming by car free parking is available on site.
On entry, there are 2 steps at the front door and my office is based up 1 flight of stairs. If this is a problem for you please let me know and we can arrange an alternative setting.
Availability (Opening hours)
Contact meDo you want to make an appointment or do you have a question?
Send a message
( No, I will search some more )
Leave a message and I will contact you as soon as possible.
- ✓ 100+ Counsellors
- ✓ In the UK
- ✓ Face-to-face & Online
| Disclaimer | Reviews | Login | Privacy |